Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wow!

As I drove back to OT yesterday, I stopped in Bancroft for gas. And I paid less than $1 per litre! I haven't paid less than a dollar in what feels like months. Whether in fact it has been months, or how many months it has actually been, is nebulous.

See, there are good effects of the global economic meltdown. Personally, I am sort of in favour of high gas prices (though I wish it was through taxation which benefits government coffers and not via enriching polluting oil companies), because it better reflects the real environmental costs of fossil fuel use. However, I am sort of doing my part by traveling back country and staying off highways, where high speeds result in both increased emissions and fuel burned (is this different or the same? I'm not exactly sure). Anyway, as a somewhat poor student, I was happy for the reduction in price.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some additional considerations:
driving in the highways might not be worse than using smaller roads.
In fact there are two effective ways to reduce fuel consumption (and save money): drive at constant speed (easier to do on highways) and keep an average speed around 100-120Km (60 Mi? sorry I am metric!!!) which I believe it's above speed limit in normal roads.
Plus, if you think over a Canadian dollar is expensive, you should buy gas in Europe!!! (i.e. over 1.2 Eur a liter in Italy).

Ever thought about using a train?
;o)