Monday, May 28, 2007

The Sour Cream of Wit

AHC and I spent dinner last night teaching the kiddies about sarcasm. They hear us use it all the time, but I'm sure it's confusing for them, especially the irony part. Cognitively, kids can't get their heads around this linguistic device until a certain age. The Girl, at 5 3/4 years, got it once we explained it to her, but Big Boy, at 3 3/4 years, just couldn't think up one sarcastic thing to say. I suppose I should be grateful for that. I should perhaps hold off this type of teaching until they get through their teens, but I've really never been smart that way.

We played this game where we'd give them a phrase and they'd have to say whether it was sarcastic or not. TG was right 100% of the time and BB was mostly just perplexed (Me: TG just loves it when we make broccoli for dinner, TG: That's sarcastic, BB: But I like broccoli!). AHC gave her this one: "It makes me so happy when [the neighbour's dog] pees on our lawn." To which TG deadpanned:

"That's definitely sarcasm."

No comments: