Tuesday, October 03, 2006

If nothing else, law will be good for my vocabulary

I'm not even kidding you! People (read: lawyers and judges) use these words! This is the problem with journalism - I'd never be able to use "exhortatory" in that field.

Exhortatory: adj. of exhort: to urge or advise strongly or earnestly.

Leitmotiv: n. 2 any recurring theme, symbol, image, etc. Any kind of appropriation from other languages is fine by me, ja doch!

Detinue n. 1 a. An action to recover possession or the value of property wrongfully detained. b. The writ authorizing such action. 2 The act of unlawfully detaining personal property. [gasp! Not found in COD, but from dictionary.com. How common!]

Tortfeasor n. Law a person guilty of tort. Obviously! But it just sounds so fantastic. If I could say this word every day, I would.

That's it for now. But don't worry, there's more where that came from. Next up (as in, sometime in the future): if I can, I'll mine the judgments of my in-law Sir William Buell Richards, first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada.

No comments: