Monday, March 05, 2007

Marriage v. Marriage

Lest anyone be confused about the marriage I was referring to in my last post, it was my marriage to law school and the law in general. I realised post-post that it was not exactly clear that I was referring to my law marriage, as opposed to my actual marriage to AHC. That marriage is fine. In fact, who knows where I'd be without it?

In fact, it is my pining for that marriage (among other things) that is making me a bit annoyed with law school. I really like AHC and the kids. We have fun together, so it sucks that my focus is elsewhere for significant expanses of time. But, like my parents before me, the two significant relationships in my life are destined to be with my family and my career. They will forever compete and will frequently be spitting at each other, I'm sure. Sometimes it will be okay, and sometimes I will disappear into my job, partly by virtue of who I am (ambitious, dedicated to hard work, and hopefully loyal to the job), and partly by nature of the work. Lawyering and law is not necessarily a 9-5 gig. I accept it; it suits my character anyhow.

All marriages require commitment, dedication, hard work, love, fun, humour. Marriage isn't easy, but it's worth it if you're in the right one. I'm lucky that both of the marriages I'm in are right.

1 comment:

A Humble Chef said...

A chef and a lawyer in a marriage. Next to politics, I can't think of another profession that require as much time and hard work. Wait! I thought of one: a husband.