Friday, March 30, 2007

This Week in Survival

I turned and faced the strain this week, which meant a return to the family in Toronto. It's been a long seven months of me being mostly gone and we're all feeling it.

This week I got by on:
  • Loose leaf Earl Grey tea
  • Raking the yard
  • Putting air in the bike tires for spring
  • After dinner walks around the neighbourhood
  • Mommy sandwiches
  • Picnics on the front porch (first one of spring) and on the livingroom floor
  • Planning a feminist counter-culture bachelor(ette) party for a great friend
  • Buying new mechanical pencils
  • Hot butterscotch toddy before bed
Without classes to get in my way, I have actually been doing quite a lot of work, co-mingled with quite a lot of family time. Sometimes school is not the end all be all, and that's just the way it is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

School is NEVER the end all and be all - when we start thinking that it is, we've forgotten something fundamental.

And that's my "easier said than done" maxim for the day.

TF&C

TCO said...

That is so patently "easier said than done" as to practically be without meaning.

What is the end all be all? I suppose it's quaint and PC to say "family" or maybe "friends" but how often to we bear that out? Certainly not in the days before an assignment or during exams. Then, school IS the end all be all and it only gets trumped if there's a personal crisis. Same will likely be true in our line of work.

I've been doing the old yes-you-can-have-it-all balancing act between family/self/school/job for almost six years now (though it hardly seems like there was a time before) and I tend to think that there is no end all be all. The weights just get transfered to a different tray on the scales (no intended pun on the ones of justice) on a pretty much daily basis.

I don't know what that says about me or society, that I can't more clearly set out a hierarchy of "be alls" - the ones I can identify are pretty clearly competing for face time with me.

Dammit life is hard sometimes.

Anonymous said...

The end all and be all is playing hooky from law school to sit on the couch, drink a beer, and watch the Blue Jays season opener.

Everything else is filler.

TF&C

PS. I'll be the judge of whether my comments are "practically without meaning," thank you very much...

TCO said...

I kind of had to take the opportunity because I doubt you're very often "practically without meaning."

And it's MY blog, don't I get to comment on these things? Besides, you're allowed to comment when I'm practically without meaning, so we're even.