Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Bruce Ziff, I Owe You A Beer

I might just pass my property exam tomorrow, thanks in no small part to Bruce Ziff, author of Principles of Property Law (Fourth Edition) and accompanying case book. Thank you, Ziff, for the following two sentences:

"In short, under Canadian property law all testators can become King Lear for a day!" (It would not be the same without that exclamation mark!)

"Until relatively recently, engaging in the Sisyphean chores of housework had not given rise to right to the property over which one laboured..." (Apparently, Ziff has feminist aspirations.)

And the following five words:

Hedonic 1 of or characterised by pleasure. 2 Psych. of pleasant or unpleasant sensations.

Fugacious 1 literary fleeting, evanescent, hard to capture or keep. 2 Bot & Zool. falling or fading early; soon cast off. I can't even believe this is a real word!

Chary (qting judgment) 1 cautious, wary. 2 sparing; ungenerous. 3 shy.

Otiose adv. serving no practical purpose; not required; functionless. He's not talking about property law is he...?

Hortatory adj. tending or serving to exhort. These words exist for people to use them. Good on ya!

No, seriously Ziff, I think you might be friends with my prof, so next time you're in town, I totally owe you a beer.


No comments: