Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Optimist Revealed

In lieu of sleeping (restless) or studying property law (cant...take.it...any.more.) I've spent quality time with PhotoShop (oh, how I've missed you). I could be drinking Scotch right now (nod, nod) but instead I shall write about why I am a The Closet Optimist.

Curiously, it all began in this very city at the piano bar of the Chateau Laurier...

There was a time in my life when I was a Millennium Scholarship Excellence Award Laureate (I am officially a nerd) and I was here for a conference. Typically, I was hanging out with the cynical do-gooders, the ones who skipped laugh yoga to go to the bar for a drink. We kept kind of making fun at the people who were really chirpy. On the last night, after the gala at the Chateau, the same few of us hit the piano bar. And we invited Andrew Woodall (director of the Excellence program) to sit with us. And we challenged him a little (but probably not much) on the relative merits of chirpy do-gooders. And he said to me, "I don't believe for a minute that you're really a cynic."

To which I replied, after a moment of thought, "Ok, I guess I'm a closet optimist." And they all liked it, so here we are today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Clo.Opt.

What's laugh yoga?

M.

TCO said...

I have no idea... I was in the bar. But Google has many answers:

http://www.laughteryoga.org

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.