Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Flurry of Holiday Posts, Part I

I guess I needed to be off the grid for a few days. I've spent most of my time since returning from Ottawa with the kiddies, getting ready for Christmas (which came and went in a hurry), and making up for some lost time. We spent two days up north at my parents house. A Humble Chef returned to T.O. on Boxing Day so he could go to work early the next morning, but the kids and got home yesterday afternoon.

My favourite thing at Christmas, except for watching the kids get whacked out on excitement, is sitting in my parents' living room in front of the Christmas tree and the fireplace. The snow was missing this year, but I read a good book - A Short History of Progress by Ronald Wright. It was with a bit of reluctance that I took leave of the couch in front of the fire and packed up the gifts, and the luggage and the kids and drove home. I think I may be a little less fond of the city after that book. The country makes me crazy for its own reasons, but it's hard to beat for pure relaxing.

No comments: